The Central Bank of Nigeria sees development financing as one of the requirements for sustainable growth in any economy. However, despite their development driven mandates, development banks have over the years been criticized by development experts, politicians and activists on the conditions attached to their financing. The Financial Market for Economic Development course, picked for the 2014 session at the CBN International Training Institute is designed for senior level executives because of its significance to help them understand the role of finance in development processes, the role of the financial institution, and also aids in identifying the challenges to financing economic and social development in a developing country.
- At the end of this course, the participants should be able to
- Understand the various strands of the debate on the role of finance in the development process
- Understand the role of financial institutions/intermediaries in the financial intermediation process
- Appreciate the channels or medium through which the intermediation process flows
- Appraise the significance of other financial techniques for financing economic development.
- Identify the challenges to financing economic and social development in a developing country